Saturday, December 21, 2013

Ginger & Molasses Cookies {guest post} via @Nortonmum


Through blogging I am comforted that there are sweet generous friends out there willing to share themselves with little old me.  My move to South Carolina + the holidays has put me quite behind.  Thankfully, Lorraine from The UnCheshire Wife has come to my rescue! Lorraine is sharing a wonderful cookie recipe… just in time for Christmas!


Lorraine, is such a sweet woman, she's a giver and I'm thankful for her kindness!


When I got the opportunity to be here as a guest on Mrs AOK’s  blog I was quite excited. I enjoy reading her blog and as I live in the UK I enjoy reading about life in the USA.
It’s good to know Mums have the same issues wherever they live.

I wanted to add a christmas recipe, first I found this VERY OLD one.


‘Six Minst Pyes’

I saw this recipe for mince pies, it is from the reign of Charles 1 (1625-1649)

The recipe for ‘six minst pyes’ is amongst the Conway Papers, part of the state papers of Charles I
Although hard to find there is a recipe in there.

King Charles I, was not a successful King, he fought with Parliament and caused two Civil Wars

King Charles I was sentenced to death on 27 January 1649                                    Three days later, Charles was beheaded on a scaffold outside the Banqueting House in Whitehall, London

I thought this would be a more appropriate recipe.



    Ginger & Molasses Cookies

Ingredients
½ cup organic butter or coconut oil
¾ cup organic brown sugar
1 large organic egg
¼ cup unsulfured molasses (or dark treacle)
2 cups quinoa flour, wholemeal flour or spelt flour
2 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground cloves
¼ cup organic cane sugar (for rolling)

Method
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. Cream butter and brown sugar in large bowl. Beat in molasses and egg.

3.  In another smaller bowl, mix dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and cloves).

4.  Mix flour mixture into butter mixture until combined into a dough.

5.  Roll dough into 1 inch balls. Place the cane sugar in a shallow bowl and roll to coat the balls. Place two inches apart on a baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes. When they puff up and are lightly browned they’re ready! Let them cool slightly before removing them to cool completely on a rack.


Inspired?  For more biscuit recipes www.greatbritishchefs.com 

Yum! My hubby cannot wait for me to make these :) Thanks for sharing! Please don't forget to check out The UnCheshire Wife.

What's your favorite cookie?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to leave me some love
: ) I will reply as soon as I can... Thanks <3