Monday, June 17, 2013

Papa-Corn {Popcorn/Bacon Lovers}

My hubs likes LOVES bacon!! Poor guy married me, I love bacon but I'm always watching our pork intake.  This Father's Day I decided to let the man eat bacon... LOTS of it!  Trust, we're good for awhile I'm sure! 

My family & I are big foodies, we watch our fair share of foodie-type shows, we always see candied bacon.  We had never had candied bacon nor attempted to try to make it. 
Till this weekend, when I decided to make my husband fall even more deeply in love with me!!

Months ago I picked up a sign I saw at Home Goods that read:
I had to get it for my husband, and thought it would be perfect for Father's Day.  Yes, I was somehow able to keep the sign hidden with all the minions knowing about it... crazy!
Since, I didn't want the sign to seem random-- I decided to just bacon-up my husband's Father's Day.
I made him what he called the best Popcorn EVER! 
He also said this is how we should always eat popcorn, which sounds lovely but I don't know if I could give up pickles and popcorn. 

Here's what you will need:
1LB Bacon
About a cup or so of Brown Sugar
Mini Chocolate Chips {I used Enjoy Life, dairy, nut, and soy-free chocolate chips}
Kosher Salt {as much or as little as you like}
1 Cup of Popcorn Kernels
Oil for popping about 3-4 TBS {I use sunflower oil}
Large Pot with lid to pop your corn
Oven-safe wire rack
Cookie sheet
Foil
Casserole dish to sugar-up the bacon
Large Bowl or casserole dish to mix everything in.


Candied Bacon
In a large casserole dish add your brown sugar (you can use as much or as little as you like)
One by one coat your bacon making sure to pat brown sugar down on each slice.
Once your bacon is all sugared-up place on oven-safe wire rack. 
The wire rack should be placed inside a cookie sheet (I lined my cookie sheet with foil)
Cook bacon for about 25-30 minutes at 375*

This is how the bacon should look before you stick it in the oven.

And here is the After
I know I could have stopped there but I aim to please.
My husband LOVES his bacon but he also LOVES popcorn.
I decided along with my kiddos to make a bacon Papa-Corn.

I popped 1cup of popcorn in sunflower oil, with a sprinkle or two of salt, in a large pot.
Once the popcorn was popped I placed it in a casserole dish (this is just so I could evenly spread the mixture).
I chopped up the bacon and mixed it in with the popcorn and added the mini chocolate chips.
Finally I sprinkled the mixture with a little kosher salt, which helps with that sweet savory combo that is so yummy!

And that's it. Bag it up and enjoy!



Saturday Dishes at Coffee With Us 3


2 comments:

  1. Genius!uhmmm we don't have Kosher Salt, can I skip that one? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can-- table salt would work just fine too. XO

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to leave me some love
: ) I will reply as soon as I can... Thanks <3